Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Krispy Kreme is now in Cebu...

I first had my KK experience the Summer of 2010 when I went to Manila for our trip in Baguio City. It was just ordinary then. Expensive as it was, I was not aware that what I am eating at the time would be the most talked about baked product in Cebu a year after...

I ate it with a little thought of how it tasted. I was thinking of the hefty price.  And with it came a resolution that it has to taste good in order to compensate the corresponding value.


The months passed after that. On the few occasions I had being in an airport, I often see passengers from Manila boarding in Visayas-Mindanao flights carrying white bags with green and red designs.  Inside, white boxes dotted with green and labeled Krispy Kreme were resting peacefully. The ones carrying it glances at it with an air of being mighty. They walk as if they're carrying the elixir of life. And with that, my ire for KK slowly developed.


I was frustrated, perhaps insecure of not being the one holding the bag. Haha! To be honest, I think I am becoming a hater of KK and its patrons after I saw the people in the airport.

Then, an announcement that the first branch of KK outside Luzon will be opened in Ayala Center Cebu hit the world of internet. My friends in FB continuously expressed in there statuses their excitement for the opening day on Saturday, October 22, 2011.

The months before October had been filled with so much noise. And once again, my abhorrence for KK sparked anew... hahaha!

Then yesterday, my aunt texted me that she's at Krispy Kreme Ayala, standing in a long line. She asked me if I could come and join her in experiencing the atmosphere of excitement and buzz that filled the Active Zone for the newly opened KK branch. Okay. I said yes to her. It's for the sake of being able to say I've been there anyway. So I came.

When I arrived, I sat outside under the staircase watching the KK through its glass wall. My aunt gestured that I come in, so I obliged. The long line of anxious middle class to the self proclaimed rich; the security guard controlling the coming and going of customers; and the scent of fresh baking mixing the scent of the new establishment caught me off guard. Am I being intimidated? Hahaha... No way! I wore my best facial expression of social insecurity and walked toward the counter.

My aunt said she has been standing there for almost an hour. Geez! All that for this? Now I know why. Why? Here's why...

Standing in front of the counter and ordering one dozen glazed doughnuts, one dozen assorted (soccer, hersheys, snickers) and another dozen of their baked creations paired with (coffee cream and caramel latte) iced coffee are not something we do everyday in the past. And paying the hefty price tag is one good experience in being able to enjoy the delights money can bring.

We sat and marveled at the transactions. Sipped our iced coffee and a few moments later, decided to go out and eat lunch.

I was the one bringing the huge bag of KK doughnuts. And now I know how it feels to be the one carrying it. It was exciting. Haha. People stare, children glance and the bold ones ask questions about it. If you're asking me why on Earth are they doing that, my answer would be, "KK is expensive and uncommon. That is why they're giving it a great deal. Also, I must admit it now, KRISPY KREME IS DELICIOUS." Just savor the dough and the glaze melt in your mouth. Ahhhh!!! hahaha...

I know time will come that people in our place will not give it the attention it is getting right now. Cebuanos are discriminating but they do not want to be ignorant of fine taste. When that time comes, I surely will be able to share my first week experience of KK of Cebu City. 

2 comments:

  1. and after this experience last year, i was able to buy another box of KK just LAST YEAR!!!!

    ReplyDelete